In [Jesus] dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily. —Colossians 2:9
A new Christian sent an e-mail to a Web site that answers questions about faith. She said, “I struggle with the claim of other Christians that Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven and to God. What will happen to those who believe otherwise?”
This kind of question challenges us to examine our view of Jesus. A scriptural review of Jesus and His uniqueness can help us stand strong in our belief that He is the only way.
Jesus is unmatched in history—His very being cries out for us to entrust our lives to Him. Jesus Christ is unique in:
- substance: He alone is both God and man (John 10:30),
- prophecy: No other leader’s life was foretold so clearly and accurately (Micah 5:2),
- mission: Jesus alone came to save us from our sins (Matthew 1:21),
- birth: Only Jesus was born of a virgin (Matthew 1:23),
- ability: No one but Jesus has the power to forgive sins (Mark 2:10),
- existence: Jesus alone existed before the beginning of time (John 1:1-2),
- position: No one else is equal with God (Philippians 2:5-6), and
- reign: Only Jesus reigns forever (Hebrews 1:8).
No one in history is like Jesus. He alone deserves our trust, and He alone is the path to God. —Dave Branon
No other name can save me,
No other name beside,
But Jesus Christ the risen Lord,
Who once was crucified.
Only one road leads to heaven—Jesus Christ is the way.